Tuesday, October 22, 2013

London--Old People's Training


We got to go to London last Monday for the Old Folk's Training!  We went "all by ourselves."  We didn't have any help, and We made it & were there Early!  It was actually quite fun.  We visited with a couple that we went through the MTC with and that was fun to trade adventures.  Then the night before Byron was looking at the list of emails of the couples who would be there, and there was a name from his past--Long Past.  His name is Nephi Chad Watt and he and Byron served their missions together back in 1965-1967.  He's from Pingree, ID and he went to high school with all my old friends from my Elementary School in Moreland, ID.  It was really fun to see him and his wife.  We forgot to take a picture of them.  There was so much going on and we had a Great visit.  It was a wonderful day with the Mission President and his wife and the other couples.  After the training the Sills (who work in our Zone) offered us a ride home back to Gravesend, but they wanted to miss the traffic, so we stayed on London until about 9pm.

 
We decided to go see Harrod's after our meeting and we walked through the back streets for about 10 minutes and this is some of what we saw.  Beautiful!!!  This is a Very Pricey part of London.  These were the Mews in olden times--another word for Stables.
 
 
It was a little wet outside. Did wonders for my hair.  ha ha ha
 
 
That's Harrod's in the background.  The most famous department store in the world!  I picked up a leather handbag to look at it and there was a sales clerk right there and I asked her for the price--10,000 pounds (the exchange rate is about $1.70) and she told me there was another one which was all alligator for 17,000 pounds!  I told her that I didn't own any oil wells.
 
 
This is inside Harrod's.at the deli counter.  In this store you can buy Mink Coats, Leather Purses, Cookies, Groceries, Dine in, Eat out, Make-up, Designer Clothes, etc. I bought a tin of cookies there back in 1985 so I could have a green bag with Harrod's written on it.
  
 
We were almost to the Hyde Park Chapel and it's next to the Victoria & Albert Museum.  That's some old English Chap who agreed to pose for me so I could take a picture of the Museum.

 
This is Yours Truly in front of the Hyde Park Chapel.  The Mission President lives right across the street four floors up.  That's some Expensive Real Estate!!!  They're GREAT People!!!  They also have a Lot of Important (VIP) visitors!
 
 
These were a group of the London Missionaries who have been performing around town.  They did a few numbers for us.  They were Cute!  There's all the "Old People" in front of us enjoying the show.
 

Sunday night we had a dinner/fireside at our flat and I fixed "Café Rio."  I think the kids really enjoyed it.  They Love getting together and socializing.  We have a problem here that the only jobs the kids seem to be able to get is retail and that means they work on Sundays and evenings.  BUT, the stores all close Early on Sunday, so we had them over to our flat and fed them.  We Love these kids!!!  We have a few more that we're seriously working on.
 
 
Flavia had to work in London but she came anyway and we still had enough food for her.  She's our Albanian Beauty.
 
 
There's the entire group that were with us Sunday night.  Great Kids!!!
 
\
 
This is Hazel and her boys.  Sunday night I cooked "Café Rio" and it called for 5 lbs. of chicken.  Well here everything is Metric and the chicken came in Kilos.  Well I put the Entire bag in and cooked it.  I couldn't understand why there was No Liquid in the chicken.  Anyway with All the people who ate here Sunday night, I still had half a crockpot of chicken, so I invited Hazel and her boys over for Family Home Evening!  I made Fresh "Pico" and Fresh Lime Rice.  It was delicious.  They have tremendous appetites and even they couldn't finish it all--so I sent the left overs home for their son who couldn't make it.  This picture was actually taken a few weeks ago when I tried out "Pulled Pork" over here.  There wasn't a "Taste" left!  I found "Bull's-Eye" at the grocery store.
 
Anyway we're doing well--we're LOVING it over here!!!  We're even handling the rain and the walking.  Byron is suffering a bit with his shoulders.  I think it's been All the heavy "carrying" we've had to do.  We have to walk everywhere or take the bus, but that means Groceries, Computers, etc.  It's Hard on these "Old" Bodies!!!  We're getting ready to go teach Institute tonight and we're loving that!  We're teaching the Book of Mormon and it's Wonderful!!!
 
We LOVE YOU ALL!!!
Bye for now!


2 comments:

  1. Love your updates! How fun to go to London! We should send you some hidden valley ranch packets for christmas...the cafe rio dressing is the best part! I have a good recipe that uses green salsa rather than the tomatillos. So glad you're doing well. Hope to be able to talk to you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom you are funny. I BET you still have a bag from the store you went to and I BET i packed it up and it is somewhere in a box in the garage never to be seen again! You guys are amazing and it was fun reading your post. Both of you are in your realm working with the young singles. I bet they love you. We are proud of you! Ada was asking me when you guys were coming home and I told her not until she was almost six. From there she said, "So, are we going to have to move when they get back?" Ha. Anyway, love you guys!

    ReplyDelete