Monday, September 9, 2013

The DOGS

We had an appointment to visit a couple in a neighboring town.  We had to take the train and then a Long Walk.  We weren't exactly sure how far it would be and asked a man on the street who immediately suggested that we needed a taxi.  Well since someone is being a "penny pincher, " we Walked!  Anyway we finally got to the person's house and he had Two Massive Dogs and said, " I hope you don't mind dogs.  They're very friendly!  I can put them out if you like."
Byron (Dad) said, "No that's not problem, we'll be fine."

Well we walked in to this smallish living room and the dogs were jumping up and down and wanted to jump all over us.  One was half golden retriever the other half was some kind of bull dog--a Big one.  The other dog was half border collie & half Rottweiler.  We were trying to visit with this couple, but the dogs wouldn't leave us alone.  I had on my Favorite skirt, which is a skirt of many colors and is also a very light weight soft fabric, & a short sleeved top.  They were putting their heads in our laps and licking me up and down my arms--those who Know me, know that I rarely even Touch dogs.  I could hardly stand to be by myself--I SMELLED like DOG!!!

Now if that wasn't bad enough,  I happened to look down at Byron (Dad) and he had on Dark slacks, butt they had what looked like Thick powder all over them, and then I realized that is was Hair--Dog Hair!!!  We were trying So Hard to be cordial and have a nice visit, but I was trying to disappear into the couch at the same time holding my breath.  They were constantly calling the dogs and I was trying to protect my skirt--it was Some visit!!!  They were Great people and we liked them a lot.  Next time we go there, I'm wearing Levis!!!

I thought I would post a picture of our flat from the outside.  We are on the second floor.  We look
out over the Thames--I know I've said that before, but you'll see the retaining wall in the background.
It's pretty cool!!  Definitely will be when it gets colder!!!




 
 
 
Now you see that we're actually behind the one that Brian had thought we lived in.
 
 
 
 
This is looking down the street from our flat.  I was across the street taking most of the shots.  We walk down the street to where that girl is and then cross over to her side to go to the town center and to church.
 

 
This is the way we walk to go to the grocery store.  We even bought a little "trolley" to go shopping with.  The biggest problem with that is that we have to carry it up Two flights of Stairs!!!  It isn't bad though.  We don't mind.
 
 
A week ago Saturday we were walking home from the grocery store and saw a big fire.  We decided to go and check it out, since we were on foot.  We almost got there. It was a tire fire.  When we first saw it, the whole sky was covered with smoke.  We walked a Long way but  couldn't quite make it.  We ended up an and got the history of Gravesend.  It was actually very enlightening.
 
 
This is what it looked like as we were walking.  It was actually worse when we came home from the store.  That little church you can see in the smoke is the resting place of Pocahontas.  There's a statue to her in the park by the church.
 
 
This is a view of our walk on the way back home.  We had to hurry because we had a dinner party with the missionaries and the Jacobsons that night.  I made "Café Rio" for them and they Loved it.  It was really fun having them over!!!
Bye for Now. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh the dogs! Nothing like the smell of dog. I always pretend to be fond of dogs when its necessary. Sounds like things are going reallu well. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your "descriptions",!!! Keep them coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your blog Sis. We love you,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. love hearing how you're doing! I am not dog lover either! one almost attacked me on my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you're doing, too. I had an experience with a dog on my mission. I was sitting down and had my legs stretched out a little bit and.....I won't tell the rest of the story. All I'll say is that a pair of pantyhose got ruined that day. I like dogs, though, and wouldn't mind getting one. I love your blog....so please keep it up:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess our Mother had a big influence on our family. I like to look at animals but I don't like to touch them! I would have just died had I been with you that day. I love hearing about everything you are doing. Keep up the good work. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That "Mom" comment was from Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appreciated reading your new post. Sounds like you didn't get a car, guess you'll be hiking. Your shopping cart is cute but I wouldn't like the stairs. Everything looks pretty over there. I love reading your blogs and I know lots of others do too. Love you, Mother

    ReplyDelete